TFP'S TOP 4: FAVORITE READS



“When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, also the books, and above all the parchments.” - Apostle Paul, 2 Timothy 4:13

“He is inspired, and yet he wants books! He has been preaching at least for thirty years, and yet he wants books! He had seen the Lord, and yet he wants books! He had a wider experience than most men, and yet he wants books! He had been caught up into the third heaven, and had heard things which was unlawful for a man to utter, yet he wants books! He had written the major part of the New Testament, and yet he wants books! The man who never reads will never be read; he who never quotes will never be quoted. He who will not use the thoughts of other men’s brains proves the he has no brains of his own. Brethren, what is true of ministers is true of all our people, you need to read.” - Charles Spurgeon

I’ve always loved to read. However, with my crazy schedule and (let's just be honest) an active DVR, it hasn't always been easy for me to pencil in the time to get quiet, sit still, and read. So when January of 2015 rolled around, I resolved to be a reader. With my “to read” list growing leaps and bounds with each passing year, I decided to read at least one book a month. But I didn’t want to stop there. I also wanted to read through the Bible from start to finish -- a feat I’d attempted several times before but failed to complete, often calling it quits by March.

But thanks to some good vacation time by the beach and lots of airport/travel time, I ended up reading through the entire Bible along with 14 other books. And it was incredible! I learned a ton and even discovered new interests by branching out from my favorite authors and normal genres. I also found so much encouragement through each book the Lord very timely orchestrated into my hands.

So if you are interested in embarking on a similar literary journey for the year or just want to find a good book for a snow day or upcoming vacation, here are my Top 4 reads from 2015:

Wherever the River Runs follows Kelly Minter's journey as the Lord captures her heart through the people of the Amazon. The stories she shares are stunning, heartbreaking and encouraging. This book is a must-read. Not only is it one of my favorite reads of 2015, it is one of my all-time favorite books ever.

Home is Where My People Are - Warning: you will cry in this book...from laughing. Sophie Hudson’s gift for storytelling beautifully demonstrates how Jesus can work in even the craziest of life’s situations. If you are looking for a great vacation read or something light-hearted and fun to pass the time, this book is perfect for just that.

Ex-Muslim - “This Jesus consistently, stubbornly refused to limit himself to my expectations, which made getting to know him an unfolding adventure of epic proportions.” Author Naeem Fazal’s account of his journey growing up as a devout Muslim to his conversion into the Christian faith sheds incredible light on the truly beautiful pursuit of our Savior to free us all from the bounds of Satan and our own sin.

The Bible - To keep myself on course with my cover-to-cover goal, I tracked my reading with the She Reads Truth app. (The One Year Bible is a great option, too.) Over time, I was deeply immersed in what I was reading -- finding stories I had never heard and gleaming new wisdom from the passages I have known since before I could read. With every page I could see how every person, every problem and every faithful promise from God all lead to Jesus in one intricately woven love story.

Over this last year, I’ve seen in my own life the countless benefits and blessings of staying in the Word of God (Isaiah 55:10-11) and reading about what He is teaching other believers (Proverbs 27:17). I encourage you to challenge yourself to draw deeper into Him and His Word this year, whatever that looks like. He will undoubtedly transform your heart and your life if you let Him.


Looking for more ideas? Check out my “To Read” list below!


What’s on your reading list this year? I would love to hear what you want to read or what your favorite books are in the comment section below!  You know what they say… Share the literature, share the love.







Hey neighbor, help us keep the conversation going! Share what’s happening here on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Front Porch
Maira Gall