The Power of a Porch



by Rachel Van Hook

I’m a sucker for a good front porch. No kidding. I have seen some of the most gorgeous porches that practically scream, “Please come sit on me and stay awhile!” Our family recently visited South Carolina, and one of the highlights of our trip, surprisingly, was simply seeing all the unique front porches. The architecture was stunning. And let’s not even get started on all of the lovely things people do with their front porches during the holidays. I can hardly stand it!

I do have a favorite front porch, though. It’s not mine. It’s not one of the eye-catchers in South Carolina. There is no fancy decor. As a matter of fact, it’s simply some old brick stairs leading up to a small wooden landing with a handful of black iron chairs. The white wooden planks are warped, and the paint is worn and practically non-existent. There is a little trash can in the corner with a Wal-Mart sack to collect the empty soda bottles and cigarette butts.

Also on the porch stands a tall, gorgeous, arched doorway. A very simple wreath sometimes hangs in the center of the old door. My favorite thing, though, is the verse above the door etched into the window panes.

“Come to me all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28, NIV)

First of all, I like that verse because I’m a mom. (Hands in the air for all the mamas claiming that promise of rest after years of sleepless nights. WOOP!) Seriously. I love that verse, and I often cling to it when my heart is heavy or I am just flat-out on the verge of burnout! But these precious words from Jesus written in cursive above the arched doorway mean so much more to those who live in the house attached to this special porch.

Each week, this particular entry way leads me into the home of a very perfectly imperfect group of women. The Care Center is a home for women and children who may be down on their luck for the time being. There are women living in the house who are homeless, addicted to any number of things, experiencing abuse of some kind, or even coming out of prostitution. These women are the epitome of “weary and burdened.” This is where they come to turn their lives around, facing in the direction of Christ. They read books to better themselves. They write out their own stories. They talk about their lives -- the good, the bad, and the super ugly. They break chains and overcome fears and failures with such beautiful brokenness. I could toil on for days about the stories I have heard and the heartbreak I have seen.

This is where the front porch comes into play. If the weather is nice when I come hang out with my friends at the Care Center, I sit on the porch with my legs pulled up into my chair. With the girls’ cigarette smoke swirling into the air, we talk about the weather, the city, the current drama of the house, what’s for dinner, what someone might be struggling with or maybe we talk about Jesus. Every now and then, we talk about nothing, and that is perfect, too.

My own girls play with some of the ladies’ children on the play set in the front yard while I talk, cry, pray or laugh with the ladies on the porch. I am telling you… some serious stuff goes down on that porch. I have experienced many a new introduction as well as some heart-wrenching goodbyes. I have heard stories that made me cringe and stories that made me sob.

My life has been changed on the porch of that old white house. I have been humbled in so many ways. I have undoubtedly experienced the presence of the Holy Spirit as I have sat in those black iron chairs.

Forevermore, when I think about front porches, my mind will immediately bring up the precious memories of the Care Center porch. I think Jesus would be a fan of porches, don’t you? Really, I am positive He would be a fan of any place people gather and build relationships that glorify Him. Such a beautiful vision it is to imagine heaven as having the biggest, most gorgeous front porch with lots and lots of comfy chairs and endless amounts of sweet tea -- the centerpiece of it all being our nail-scarred Savior.

And that is what I love about The Front Porch -- it’s a platform for ladies from all over who can come together to do life. The purpose here is to create community. So whether you want to dust off some old patio chairs and shake out some weathered welcome mats or simply just post a comment below, we can all be a part of a community that pours out encouragement and sees life change. Never underestimate the power of a porch.





No comments

Post a Comment

© The Front Porch
Maira Gall