Love & Fear



“God is love. When we take up permanent residence in a life of love, we live in God and God lives in us. This way, love has the run of the house, becomes at home and mature in us, so that we’re free of worry on Judgment Day – our standing in the world is identical with Christ’s. There is no room in love for fear. Well-formed love banishes fear. Since fear is crippling, a fearful life – fear of death, fear of judgment – is one not yet fully formed in love. We, though, are going to love – love and be loved. First we were loved, now we love. He loved us first.” 1 John 4:17-19 (The Message)


We all have that something that drives us -- you know, that one thing that has “the run of the house” in our lives. It can be good or bad. What is that something for you?

For me, that something is fear.

Far too often I allow fear to take control of my mind and determine my decisions. I fear potential circumstances. I fear what others think of me. I fear the unknowns in my future. I fear I am not good enough.

Fear manifests itself in more than just an anxiety or uneasiness. It can be what drives us to pursue an unattainable perfection. It can be what keeps us mulling over that last heartbreak or disappointment. Fear can be what is holding us back from that step of obedience we know we must take.  And fear can also make Jesus feel so very far away.

Although fear can show itself in our lives in a thousand different ways, the beginning of fear comes from one simple place.

The root of fear is the lack of love.

Conviction pours over me when I realize that all of my fears stem from the places in my heart I haven’t allowed God’s love to reach. Not because His love can’t get to me, but because I won’t allow Him to come into those tender places that my deepest fears live.

Fear is an illusion of losing control over certain aspects of life that only God can sovereignly maintain. Fear says, “You can’t trust anyone but yourself, so take control of your life or expect failure, pain, disappointment, etc.…”

But that’s the opposite of God’s love.

God’s love says, “You are not in control. I am. I love you more perfectly than you can imagine. I knew you before you had a name, and I know your entire future. Not only do I know you, but I’ve got complete control of everything, so leave your anxiety behind and trust me. My love alone will carry you.”

Wow...what a sweet peace that is.

Today, and every day, I must determine what voice I listen to. Will I allow fear to cripple me, or will I allow perfect love to free my soul to follow Jesus? What will run my life? Some days I feel like I am free to allow my Father’s love to rush into every cave and crevice in my heart and wash away all my fears, doubts, expectations and anxieties, allowing His love to fill me completely so I can live fully. Other days fear has such a grip on me that I feel almost as if I am paralyzed. I instinctively raise the walls up around my heart, not allowing anything in…or out.

We love, because He first loved us. (1 John 4:19, ESV). His perfect love is waiting, and when we accept His love, little by little, day after day, we continually allow our strong God to drive out our deepest fears because in Him we find endless security and unconditional love.

When God’s love fills us full, there will be no room for fear. Allow Him to enter into that broken, tender place that you keep locked away. Don’t allow fear to have the final say. Love is ready to usher in peace.

You may have accepted Christ’s gift of love and salvation years ago, but what areas in your life have you been keeping from Him, afraid of exposing or losing control of? What areas in your life needs to be redefined by love instead of fear, pain, and anxiety? God’s Word can drive out any fearful thought -- what promise from Scripture can you dwell on today?

If nothing else, soak these words in, and let Him love you by His peace.


“There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear.” 1 John 4:18a (ESV)



No comments

Post a Comment

© The Front Porch
Maira Gall