Everyday Etiquette: Table Talk



I love setting a table. (I know, nerd alert!) From the china pattern to the centerpiece, I love it all. I learned very early on from my mother and grandmother how to set a table. How a table is set can affect how you enjoy your meal, and, when done right, it can make mealtime more relaxed while creating an open environment for conversation. Setting a table demonstrates you have gone above and beyond and shows you care about making mealtime special for your guests. Try these fancy schmancy (yet very practical) tips next time you invite folks over for dinner:

  1.  The words “fork” and “left” have four letters each; therefore, your fork should always be  placed on the left.
  2.  “Knife”, “spoon” and “right” have five letters each; hence, your knife and spoon should both  be placed on the right, opposite of the fork.
  3.  Napkins – well, that’s an entire post in and of itself, but for an informal setting, your napkin is  to be placed to the left of your fork.
  4.  Bread plate vs. beverage glass - Calm down... There’s no need to fret. Slyly make an “okay”  sign with both hands. (If you’re at a dinner, reception, gala, etc., it’s best to do this very  discretely under the table.) Notice that your left hand resembles a “b” for bread and the right  hand resembles a “d” for drink. So, your bread plate should always be placed above your  dinner plate to your left and your beverage glass always placed above your dinner plate to your  right. 

And there you have it. Simple, right? Goodness, all this talk about table settings makes me want to pull out the china and have a party! (You think I’m kidding…)

As much as I love setting the table with the finest china, flatware, stemware and everything else in between, I have to confess something: there are, in fact, times with my immediate family when we pull out the paper napkins, plastic ware, and Dixie plates. Why? Because we are busy. Too busy, actually. And because we’re too busy, we’re tired. Too tired to set the table. Confession: sometimes, this is like my walk with Jesus.

At times, I identify with Martha in Luke 10 -- a very busy, type A (shocker) leader. I can be so busy doing things for Jesus that I forget to actually be with Jesus. Ever been there? In those times, conviction sets in because I end up giving Jesus my leftovers instead of my very best. In 1 Corinthians 10:31, Paul tells us, “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” Jesus deserves our absolute best – nothing less.

What distractions and clutter in life is Jesus calling you to set aside this week in order to give Him your best? Y’all, His table is already magnificently set. Let me encourage you – slow down and make time to pull up a chair, sit at His table and enjoy a feast with the King. You’ll be glad you did.


For the love of Everyday Etiquette,



No comments

Post a Comment

© The Front Porch
Maira Gall