Learning Contentment




Contentment: a state of peaceful happiness and satisfaction.
Synonyms: satisfied, pleased, gratified, fulfilled, happy, cheerful, glad, unworried, untroubled, at ease, at peace, tranquil, serene

Contentment is a word that we often say and hear in the Christian community. It sounds great, doesn’t it? Fulfilled, unworried, at peace. But how many of us are truly content? I will be the first to say that this is something I struggle with on a daily basis.

In our world, especially American culture, we are constantly reminded that there is something better. We can’t live without the newest iPhone, the latest fashion trends, and our houses aren’t good enough unless they look like one of Joanna Gaines’ beautiful creations (seriously the woman is a rock star).

God has been teaching me a lot about being content recently and continually bringing me back to Paul’s letter to Philippi that he wrote during his time in prison. This passage features a verse many of us may have heard time and time again, but let’s read it with fresh eyes, like it’s the first time. (And for some, it may be!)

Philippians 4:10-13
10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

The word that sticks out to me in this passage is “learned”. For me, this word changes not only my whole perspective of the passage itself but also what being content really means. Contentment did not come naturally to Paul. It wasn’t easy for him to accept where God had him at each and every moment. He had to learn. This meant he had to practice it and allow the Lord to teach it to him over and over.

The end of verse 11 also reminds me of the common marriage vow…in plenty and in want, for richer and poorer. I got married two years ago, and I can say for sure that choosing contentment is a daily learning process. There are good days when I find it easy to love and be joyful, and there are some not-so-good days where I still love my husband greatly, but sometimes things just don’t go our way, life happens, and often I selfishly want my own way. It’s the same in my relationship with Christ. There will be times that He will allow me to abound (the “good days”) and times that He will allow me to be brought low (the “not-so-good days”). And there will always be opportunities to learn and choose contentment. Once you make that choice, those not-so-good days don’t seem nearly not-so-good anymore.

And now we arrive at one of the most quoted verses to date: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” We often use this verse when referring to a weakness we want to overcome or doing something that seems impossible for our bodies. However, Paul wrote it to communicate that whatever situation he is in, God will help him to be content.

I love the way The Message translation interprets this verse…”Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.”

So, whether you are a stay-at-home mom or a traveling connoisseur, a student or the FLOTUS, love the person God has made you to be and the place he has called you to work.

If we can’t find contentment in the lows of our life, we surely won’t find it in the highs, not true contentment. For contentment does not hinge on circumstance but on the understanding and embracing of endless grace given only by Jesus.

As we go through our weeks ahead, let’s think on these things:
  • What steps are we taking in order to become more content in our daily lives?
  • Are we thankful for the things God has blessed us with? Or are we constantly praying for more?


Contentment takes time. If you feel like this is something you struggle with, it’s okay. You certainly aren’t alone. Remember, Paul had to learn how to be content. Give yourself some grace, and ask Jesus to teach you. Choose to start your days with approaching Him with a willing and thankful heart. You’ll be amazed at what He can do.








Hey neighbor, help us keep the conversation going! Comment below and share what’s happening here on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Pinterest.

2 comments

  1. This was good Julia! I think Satan is working hard to make us think we need more, constantly comparing ourselves to that person or her house or their finances etc. We need to always be alert against the enemy and when we are resting in God His desires are our desires and He brings the contentment without us even realizing it! Why? Because our God is just good like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such an amazing post! Thanks for being vulnerable and allowing God to use you to make this real! I so needed this!

    ReplyDelete

© The Front Porch
Maira Gall